Client: The Disabilities Trust
Project: West Heath House refurbishment
Apollo FM has enjoyed a long relationship with The Disabilities Trust, and one of our projects for the national charity was the refurbishment of en-suite accommodation at West Heath House in Birmingham.
This facility specialises in the rehabilitation of people with acquired brain injuries and complex needs such as cognitive, physical and/or emotional difficulties. Because of the service users’ physical and cognitive challenges, our designs needed to ensure they can be as independent and comfortable as possible as they work toward their recovery while staying there.
The final designs for the eight bedrooms we worked on were based on a previous project – the pilot room concept at Daniel Yorath House. They included reconfiguration of the en-suite bathrooms to make them made more accessible – including the installation of sliding doors to accommodate wheelchairs.
Apollo’s work also included:
- Installation of uPVC windows to replace existing, rotten wooden windows
- Replacement of 16 sets of doors with new installations, including automatic doors
- Full decoration of bedrooms, corridors, dining room and the foyer
- Installation of all-new flooring in all rooms
Apollo’s work at West Heath House also included:
- Reconfiguration of outdoor space
- Full guttering replacement
- Roofing repairs
- Renovation of staff offices
- Installation of a new medical room
- Installation of a new physiotherapy suite for service users’ treatment
- Construction of a new, bespoke gym featuring storage solutions, full wiring, a LED lighting upgrade and aluminium doors that led into an outdoor space was levelled and tarmacked
Our work at West Heath House was carried out in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, but we made sure our entire operation was COVID-secure by testing our staff every day.
Roger Fisher, Regional Property Manager for The Disabilities Trust said: “I have been a client of Apollo FM’s for over six years and they have been responsible for many of my projects.
“I’ve found the workmanship and team of professional tradesmen outstanding, they have a great understanding of client needs and are flexible. I have no hesitation in recommending Apollo to others.”